Monday, July 7, 2014

Dinosaur BBQ Beans and Rice

Dear Turkey,

As you know, I am a lazy cook and I like to avoid things that take time, like chopping, and washing vegetables (just kidding, Dad). I think that my usual no-chopping beans and rice is so good that it's not worth any extra time/chopping/veggies/etc. However, I went back to an old standby, Dinosaur BBQ Rice and Beans, made it a little easier, and beamed with pride when everybody told me how it was even better than my usual delicious rice and beans

Here's what I did:

For the rice:
Cook 4 c white rice in the rice cooker with 4 T olive oil and 1 T salt.

For the beans:
Saute one large onion, 3 cloves garlic, and one green pepper (all diced or minced) with just enough olive oil (not like usual, when I use lots), and 2 T oregano, 2 T cumin, 1 bay leaf and 1 t black pepper. Keep scraping the bottom of the pan so that it doesn't stick and burn (that's what happens when you only use 1-2 T olive oil, but it makes it tasty), and cook until everything is starting to brown. Then add 4 cans of Goya black beans, un-drained, 1/4 c brown sugar, 1/3 c sherry, 1/4 c red wine vinegar, and 1 t Tabasco sauce. Keep cooking and stirring until most of the water has cooked off (so you can eat it on a plate, not a bowl), and then season to taste and remove the bay leaf:


For dessert, the rest of your ice cream cake (I am ashamed):


Enjoy,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment