Thursday, February 26, 2015

Poached Pears

Dear Turkey,

Recipes for poached pears are all over the web. I've heard all about how they are healthy, cheap, easy to make, versatile, and delicious. I should have listened to the hype sooner.

I poached my pears with cinnamon and vanilla and served them in between dinner and dessert. And then I ate them the next day for breakfast. And lunch. You could easily adjust the spices to reflect your personal pear poaching goals. Oh? You're allergic to pears? Even if they are cooked? This technique works with almost any fruit, and not just fruits with pits (poached blueberries on ice cream or oatmeal?).

Poached Pears

Ingredients:
- 4 pears, cored
- 5 c water
- 2.5 c sugar 
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean, 1 t vanilla bean paste, or 1 T vanilla extract (this will change the taste a bit since it's an alcohol, but that's not a bad thing)

Instructions:
- Bring all ingredients to a gentle boil.
- Cook for 10-20 minutes, or until pears are tender, turning pears periodically if parts are floating above water for even cooking.
-Allow to cool in liquid and store in some liquid as well.

Enjoy,
Tofu 


2 comments:

  1. Long-time reader, first time commenter - In the recipe it says to core the pears, but in the picture I can still see the stems. Am I missing something? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are observant!
    I did core the pears, but I am lazy and didn't core them all the way up. It's also nice to have the stems to grab onto.
    - Tofu

    ReplyDelete