Friday, July 24, 2015

Vegan Whoopie Pies

Dear Turkey,

Give these to someone
But don't divulge the secret
Ingredient first


Vegan Whoopie Pies
(makes about 10)

For the cookies:

Ingredients:
- 3/4 c canola oil
- 1 c sugar
- 2 t vanilla
- 2 T flax (ground) or chia seeds soaked for a minute or two in 1/2 c soy milk (I used chocolate!)
- 2 c white flour
- 3/4 c cocoa
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt

Instructions:
- Cream the first 4 ingredients, by hand or with a mixer; you'll see it start to gel up a bit after a minute or so.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cover 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and drop 9 cookies on each sheet. Flatten them out a bit with a the back of a spoon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes (they are done, I promise!). Cool completely. 

Note: I adapted these from here. This is my kind of vegan recipe: no weird ingredients, no chemicals. Vegan baking should not involve things that I don't normally have in my pantry. 

For the filling:

Ingredients:
- 1/2 c chickpea brine (the stuff that you usually throw out when you drain the chickpeas [I know!! This was the secret ingredient I was referring to in my haiku] -- I used 1 regular-sized can of Goya -- it doesn't seem to matter if the chickpeas are salted or not)
- 4 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 t cream of tartar
- 1 c powdered sugar

Instructions:
- Using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, beat the first 3 ingredients on the highest speed for 5 minutes (if you have one of those cover things to keep everything from spraying all over the place, I would use it).
- Add the sugar 1/4 c at a time and continue mixing for 3 more minutes. 
- Put a layer between two cookies to complete the whoopie pies. You will have quite a bit left over which you can turn into meringues or just eat shamelessly out of the bowl. Store in the fridge and eat soon; it will start to fall after a day or two (although more cream of tartar would make it stiffer).

Note: a google search will provide you with many recipes/facts/answers about the magical chickpea brine. 

Enjoy,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment