Wednesday, August 1, 2012

What's fritatta with you?

Tofurkey,
Those pot pies sound delicious. I might have to make them (with the clams and bacon, thank you!).
I'll probably have to wait until I've worked off this past weekend's brunch to make them though since indeed they do not look spare.

My brunch was, according to one friend, "stupid good," which I think is a compliment. There were mimosas and mixed fruits, and a hash that was a little more like mash than I prefer but still good. I made a frittata with ham, gruyere, and carmelized veggies. I sauteed some onions and peppers until they started to brown, added a little brown sugar, then added mushrooms and tomatoes and spinach. I deglazed the pan with some white wine and let it reduce. Then I added the cut up ham and took the pan off the heat before I added the already combined 10 beaten eggs (some just the whites), some milk, and shredded gruyere with salt and pepper. After a stir, I put it back on the heat for five minutes, then popped it in an oven at 425 for about 15 minutes. I finished it with some shredded asiago and chives. It was delicious.


Of course, the best part were the sticky buns I told you about. You should make them for your husband when he's out of his baked-goods-blackout-period. To start, you make a batch of brioche. Joanne Chang's recipe is excellent but probably any will do. To make the goo (which is really what it's all about), you melt 3/4 cup of unsalted butter over medium heat and then whisk in 330 g (1.5 cups) light brown sugar until it dissolves. Then you remove the pan from the heat and whisk in 115 g of honey (1/3 cup), 80 grams heavy cream (1/3 cup), and 80 grams water (1/3 cup). Finally add 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt and let cool. Like the dough, you can make this ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until you're ready. Then take out the dough and roll out a piece about 16 x 12 inches and 1/4 inch thick. Combine 55 grams (1/4 cup) light brown sugar and 50 grams (1/4 cup) granulated sugar in a bowl with 1/8 teaspoon cinammon and 50 grams (1/2 cup) of toasted and chopped pecans (I learned from Chang's book that you should always toast your nuts, unless they're Angel's and spicy). Spread this mixture evenly over the rolled out dough and then roll it tightly from one short side to the other. Then cut into about eight equal pieces. Pour the goo into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, sprinkle on another 50 grams of toasted and chopped pecans, and then lay out the rolls in the dish. Let proof for about 2 hours in a warm place and then bake at 350 for about 35 minutes.



These will change your life, or at least the way you think about dessert. Here's a picture of brunch plated. The sticky buns look even more delicious right-side-up with the goo over top.




That caramel goo is so delicious that even after all the buns were eaten, we saved the good to put on top of ice cream.

I hope the tofu clan is having a good and delicious week.

Love,
Turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment