Friday, September 7, 2012

Millions of Peaches (Peaches for You)


Dear Tofurkey,

Well my world travel has brought me back home, finally and only for a time. Thank you for picking up the large amount of slack left in my absence. I endeavor to make it up and then some during my next bit of world travel. While I can't cook much in Japan, I think I could find some inspiring food pictures to send back.

From this trip, I return with pictures of us (surprise! OK well not for you, but maybe for our tiny public of adoring fans). Yes, Turkey and Tofurkey got to can together as part of the world travel. Other than that, I don't have much to offer since Canada is not exactly a culinary paradise.

These peaches looked delicious, even though they were seconds. As I'm allergic to peaches (no, that's real, even though you didn't believe me for years), I have been eating them this summer because they're just so delicious. I just wait until I'm ready to be uncomfortable for awhile.

This peach extravaganza and canning jubilee gave us the opportunity to teach Angel how to can and also let me refresh my memory. I don't know if I'd go out of the way to do it for myself, but maybe when I have my own garden I'd want to can my stuff. It's actually not that hard and pretty fun. Here's what I learned:





    1. Sterilize the jars (especially if you have a particular husband whose diet-angst makes him more particular)
    2. Peel peaches. This step is a bitch (excuse me even tinier tiny public but it's the best word for it). I think we can safely conclude that you DO NOT want to refrigerate your peaches before you peel them. If they are room temperature, you just boil them for half a minute and rub the skin off. If you refrigerate them, pray to God for the end to be near because this will not be easy
    3. Make a simple syrup flavored with whatever you like (vanilla beans works for us) and put the sliced peaches in a jar and cover with the syrup.
    4. Boil the jars so the lid gets sealed.
    5. Store and feel satisfied





I'm sorry that I can't offer anything I made while in Canada because I was just enjoying my time away. However, I believe I proved with this trip to Canada that I make the best nachos on the planet. As evidence, I cite my friend David, who lovingly permits relentless teasing of his persnicketiness. David, while a fully grown adult, does not like when you combine lots of foods together; a casserole is David kryptonite. In fact, he will sometimes look like a toddler in a restaurant as he separates the entrees and side dishes on his plate into distinctive regions. In short, Mexican food is hell to David. If you can still read through your tears (because I know that's a tragedy), read on. I did not take a picture of the nachos I made while in Canada, to which I subjected David, but shortly after, he asked for the recipe. I mean, wow, right? So, I will make nachos and takes pictures and share my nacho-making secrets (even though I am NACHO bitch {sorry again tinier tiny public}) so that you and all our public (tiny and tinier) can enjoy them. And maybe you can try them out and add your nacho-making suggestions and we will create Los Mas Supremos Nachos Para Siempre!!! It could be like that article on chocolate chip cookies in the New York Times, only less researched.

That's all for now,
Love,
Turkey

P.S. Diets, while not bad, are sad for cooks. Chicken is not bad at all
P.P.S. I capitalize nouns, verbs, and all the important stuff, but do not capitalize prepositions and conjunctions. That said, I've never really known either.

No comments:

Post a Comment