Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Healthy Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

Dear Turkey,

In my myriad posts about pumpkin breads, I have failed you. I was googling my own blog (no shame) to find the recipe for the healthy pumpkin bread that I make all the time, and I realized that I never posted it. I guess I make it so often that I always assume I posted it last time.

I developed this recipe because I thought that there would be a way to make my usual famous pumpkin chocolate chip bread with whole wheat flour, no eggs, and less sugar. I replaced the flour with whole wheat flour, the eggs with soy milk and cut the sugar by 2/3 and I thought that you couldn't even tell. At first, my mom (PCCB die-hard) did not approve. But even she came around eventually. Not that there isn't a special place in my life for regular pumpkin bread, but if we are going to plow through one of these in a day or two, it may as well be the healthy kind (and you can eat the batter).

Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

Ingredients:
- 3.5 c whole wheat flour
- 2 T baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 t nutmeg
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c canola oil
- 1 c unsweetened soymilk (or whatever you've got -- regular milk is fine)
- 2/3 c water
- 1 can pumpkin
- 1 c mini chocolate chips (vegan if you're vegan)
- 1 t salt
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/4 c ground flaxseeds

Instructions:
- Combine all ingredients in a giant bowl. 
- Grease a big glass baking dish (like 9x13), or two loaf pans, and pour in the batter (after you ate some).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

Enjoy,
Tofu 


No comments:

Post a Comment