Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Ricotta Gnocchi

Dear Turkey,

I love gnocchi. Usually I love buying it from the store in a package. But this recipe introduced me to a new technique to form the gnocchi (even though I love making bread, I find all that rolling out and slicing really annoying for some reason), and it was buttery/comfort food-y/light/pillowy/awesome.

If you've never made gnocchi before because you thought it was hard, you should try this. And if you've never made gnocchi before because you think it's too chewy, you should definitely try this, because you really don't have to knead the dough at all, which prevents the gluten-chewiness.


Ricotta Gnocchi with Roasted Squash and Pecans
(serves 4, adapted from Janine Booth and Jeff McInnis) 

Ingredients:
- 1 lb ricotta (I used whole milk, but this makes it very decadent and creamy; I might try part-skim next time)
- 1/2 c grated parm
- 1 t lemon peel
- 1 t nutmeg
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 eggs
- pinch baking powder
- 1 1/2-2 c flour (start with 1 1/2 c and add more if needed)
- pinch salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 c pecans (I toasted them in my sauce pan before I made the sauce)
- 1 c roasted butternut squash, or something similar (drizzle with some butter and maple syrup before roasting if you want)
- 1 T dried sage
- 1 t black pepper

Instructions:
- Mix the first ingredients, up to and including the salt, in a large bowl until the dough comes together. (This is where I would knead it for a minute or two, and increase the flour, because I like chewier gnocchi). 
- Place the dough in a pastry bag or a ziplock bag with the corner cut out and pipe out the dough directly over a pot of salted, boiling water. Use scissors to cut the dough, forming 1-inch-long dumplings (no rolling!). Gently stir them and cook for about 5 minutes, until they float.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and cook it with the pecans, sage, and pepper for about five minutes on low/medium heat until the butter starts to brown. Add the squash.
- Using a slotted spoon, gently scoop the gnocchi into the sauce pan, and allow them to cook for a minute or two, until they get all delicious and brown. Serve with more parm. 

Enjoy,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment