Monday, February 25, 2013

Magical Irish Soda Bread

Dear Turkey,

Good thing not too many people read our blog, because I'm about to tell you a secret:

Assemble these ingredients:

5 c whole wheat flour
2.5 c white flour
6 T sugar
1.5 t salt
1 stick butter softened or melted (use some to generously butter two loaf pans)
2 t baking soda
2 c raisins
2 2/3 c buttermilk, soymilk, or breastmilk (just seeing if you're paying attention)
2 eggs

Mix them all up with your hands until everything is incorporated and a ball forms. Divide the dough in half and put it in the greased pans.


Bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes. Give it to people. In return, they will drive their trucks over to your house in a snowstorm and help you take your trash to the dump (excuse me, transfer station). They will watch your baby  for three hours while you run ten miles, change a headlight bulb in your car (for the first time, so they will have to wait while you google how to do it first), and give your husband a haircut. Outside. In the driveway. In a snowstorm. Then they will keep watching your baby while you warm up in the shower. You can give it to them plain, or with butter, or jam.

If you are wondering how it tastes with this much butter: about like you would expect. 

I don't know what it is about Magical Irish Soda Bread. There is no magical ingredient, but everyone loves it. I'd also like to tell you that I loved this pasta (but I've plagiarized from Deb Perelman enough for now).

I moss you,
Tofu

1 comment:

  1. I'm very intrigued by this post. I had soda bread while in Ireland and was not that impressed by it. So I'm curious to try yours to see what's magical about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete