Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Ethiopian Food?

Dear Turkey,

As you know, I love Ethiopian Food. If only I could make it taste as good as it does when we go out. I had a realization: I've made beans and rice thousands of times. I've made Ethiopian food 5 or 10 times. So, I need to practice.

I did some research, and a message board on food52 directed me to an Ethiopian recipes website. For the injera, I pretty much followed the directions, except, instead of fermenting the dough, I added some of my sourdough starter and just let it stand at room temperature for about 8 hours. I cooked it in a nonstick pan with a tiny bit of oil and it turned out pretty good. 

The yellow split peas were tasty. The only change that we made was that we pureed them (and they required a little more water than the recipe said; maybe because I cooked them hotter). 

We still need practice the stew. We think that maybe this recipe is more "busy" tasting than what we are used to; it turned out like Indian curry (which makes sense because there are Indian influences on Ethiopian food). 


For dessert, I blended frozen bananas, a few dates, soymilk, and cinnamon. Then I froze it for another half hour or so. I topped it with my easy chocolate sauce: maple syrup with cocoa stirred in. 


I moss you,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment