Monday, February 17, 2014

Flour-less Chocolate Cake for People on Weird Diets

Dear Turkey

As you remember from when you were on a weird diet, I love cooking and baking challenges. So I was excited when I was having my friend over who doesn't eat gluten or dairy. She hasn't had any real desserts in a while, so I knew that she'd probably like anything I made, but I am proud to say this this was delicious, much to the surprise of the naysayers (ahem -- Mom).

The naysayers thought that I couldn't make a flour-less cake without butter. But a flour-less cake is really just a baked custard, and, anyway, eggs and canola oil set up when you make mayo.

Here's what I did:

In the kitchen-aid, beat 8 eggs until they start to get lighter and foamy, about 5 mins (don't be afraid to over-beat), then slowly add 1 1/4 c sugar, 1 c good-quality dutch-process cocoa, and 1/2 c canola oil (do this in a drizzle). I added these one at a time while the mixer was running (which is why my lungs are coated with cocoa now).

When it's all combined, bake it in a ever-so-slightly oiled spring-form pan at 325 degrees for about 50 mins. The middle will not be totally set up when you take it out; that's why it's all molten and delicious. Let it stand in a cool place or the fridge for an hour or so. Then, cut carefully around the outside of the cake, open the pan, and sprinkle with confectioners sugar:




Go me,
Tofu 

No comments:

Post a Comment