Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Caramelized Apple Butter Scones or Scones ver. 2.1

Dear Turkey,

Even though my husband's diet is almost over, I still hid these from him, since he probably didn't plan on two cups of cream and two sticks of butter in his break-baking-diet-fast. 

This is what inspired me to make these scones:

cool random German apple butter (at least I think it's apple butter...I can't read that...)
My husband wanted some apple butter, so I picked this exotic one. However, he wasn't crazy about it even though he has exotic taste (not for wives). So, there I was, home on a winter day with the baby, a pint of cream and an almost-full jar of delicious apple butter staring me in the face. So I made these scones again. Instead of 1c cream and 1c milk, I decided to use up the cream. I am ashamed. In place of the chocolate, I patted half of the dough down on the parchment paper, then I spread half of the apple butter on that, topped that with the rest of the dough, followed by the rest of the apple butter. (Make sure to pat gently -- god, I hate adverbs.) When I baked it, I made sure the butter didn't brown (because that makes them taste less delicate, more manly; probably Hemingway would direct his wife to brown the butter), but I did let the apple butter on top caramelize a little.  


it tastes a little like apple pie, but not too much, which is good, because I don't really like pie (I know, I know)

the apple butter really caramelized nicely (adverb!), but it would be good with any jam, or marmalade
Before you make fun of my husband for declining even a forkful, I would like to posit that this wouldn't be on your diet either.

I moss you,
Tofu

1 comment:

  1. I'd just like to say that having sampled these personally, they'd be worth breaking ANY diet for! :o) So, so good!! Then again, I don't ever seem to limit amazing goodness like this from my diet, if you're going to eat dessert, you may as well do it right. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete