Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Happy Anniversary Cookies

Dear Deb,

Now that you and I are so friendly, I feel that we are on a first-name basis. You can call me Tofu. You might even know that my parents' anniversary is this week. It's a pretty big one; the same as how old my husband is (19! I know!).
For their anniversary present, I decided to make your intensely chocolate sables. Your actual photographs taken with an actual camera made them look so delicious, I just had to go for it.

Here is the fundamental difference between you and me: you are obsessive when it comes to cooking and I am obsessive when it comes to everything but cooking. For example, you will spend that extra minute or hour making every cookie look perfect, while I prefer to spend that extra minute or hour cleaning all of my outlet covers with a toothbrush (stuff gets in there! just remember to turn the breaker off first), or making sure I can see my reflection in my toilet lid (good for plucking your eyebrows [just kidding; I don't pluck my eyebrows, because I don't have a unibrow]).

So, while these cookies are delicious and beautiful, I needed an occasion to make them. If I was just making something to stuff in my own mouth, I would like a little more bang for my time. Also, let's discuss this note at the end of your post: "Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks of 4 p.m. rations." 
Okay, you said this makes 40 cookies. Now, two weeks is 14 days, so, that would result in 40/14, or 2.85714 cookies every day. I ate that many in the first 30 seconds that they were out of the oven. So, by my estimate, this batch of cookies would last 40/2.857148*2 minutes, or about less than one day, which is what happened.

The other fundamental difference between you and me is that I made these cookies in my food processor. You said that I should use the food processor to chop up the chocolate to save time. So why not save even more time and just throw all the ingredients in there and skip the mixer all together? You are already going to have to wash the food processor anyway. It works for pie crust, and it worked for these, too.

So, lazy people, here's what I did:
In food processor, chop 3.5 oz unsweetened chocolate until powdery
Then add:
1c flour
1/2c sugar
1 stick butter fridge temp (I dare say this also allowed me to skip the dough-chilllin')
1/3c cocoa powder (I also used Dutched)
1/4t baking soda
1/4t salt
1 egg yolk
1/2t vanilla
Process until a ball starts to form -- it might not totally come together; this is a crumbly dough. Roll out on wax paper (I had to cajole it with the flat of my hand a little, too). Cut out cookies, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar, and bake on parchment-covered stones at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool completely before removing from stones.
I guess if it were really lazy I could have baked it as a big sheet and sliced it after, or just made little balls and baked those.

if you don't have a heart-shaped cookie cutter, you can always use a pancake mold that you borrowed from your mom
they don't spread out much, so you can put them close together

these were all gone 4.592 minutes after my husband got home
Well, Deb, another job tastily done by the winning team of you and me. Keep up the good work!
Your Friend,
To-

1 comment:

  1. Dear Audience,
    Yes, I changed the background. Normally I am a satisfiser and I don't like change. But I just thought it was getting a little busy with all the convenient buttons I added for your viewing pleasure.
    Tofu

    ReplyDelete