Sunday, May 19, 2013

Finally Something Savory

Dear Deb P.,

Hi! Did you miss me? Did you think that I had forgotten about our friendship? I bet you're regretting asking your lawyers to forget about the cease & desist order right about now. Well, don't worry, we are still friends. Actually, we are friends with benefits. And, by benefits, I mean that I steal recipes off of your blog and you do not read my blog or even know that I exist.

Anyway, I wanted to point out another way in which I shamelessly poser off of you: I don't post that many savory recipes. So I thought that I should post something so that those of you that are on the Turkeyandtofurkey.blogspot.com Diet (app coming soon) can give your cholesterol a break (actually, when you read the recipe, you will realize that I am lying).

I actually stole this from Food52, who in turn stole it from Craig Claiborne (so I don't feel that bad), but it's so good, easy, and fresh, that I could have just as easily stolen it from your blog. (NB: Food52 -- why did you have to be snobs and call this Pasta con Asparagi? It's cute, but, when I search for "asparagus" on your site, this doesn't come up, and that's annoying.)

Pasta "WITH ASPARAGUS:"

You will need:

5 stalks asparagus, cut up small
1/4 lb Lemon Pepper Pasta that you got from the Regional Market
1 can diced tomatoes
3, or, better yet 4, T butter (no, that is no a typo, and yes, this serves two)
1 t dried parsley
1 t salt
1 t pepper
2 t minced garlic
1 egg, beaten
Parm, for topping

Melt the butter, herbs, spices, and garlic and let the garlic brown a little.

Meanwhile, cut up the asparagus and start the pasta water.

Add the tomatoes to the butter/garlic etc. and cook until about 2/3 of the juice is gone. Then add the asparagus. Cook about a minute. 

Take some of the tomato mixture and add it to the beaten egg to warm it up (yes, I know, this is cheating, but I don't care). Turn off the heat. Slowly add the egg to the pan and stir gently. 

Drain the pasta and add it to the pan. This should be enough to cook the egg but, if it isn't, or if you're paranoid, turn the heat back on to low. 

Divide and serve.

Top with parm.

So, Deb, like many of your "savory" recipes, this is the health equivalent of eating a big doughnut topped with asparagus. And it tasted and smelled pretty much like you'd expect it to.

L'chaim,
Tofu




No comments:

Post a Comment