Monday, May 13, 2013

Carb Loading for Mother('?)s('?) Day

Dear Fellow Mothers,

Yes, I do not know where the apostrophe goes in Mother('?)s('?) Day. I don't even know if there is one. And yet, the Parenting Review and Permits Board still allowed me to become a mother. Go ahead, try and vote me off the island.

I am here to offer you some mother-ly advice about how to really appreciate that holiday with the tricky punctuation, especially if you are nursing, just ran ten miles, and are concerned about fulfilling your caloric needs.

First, appetizers:


If you are a lightweight, you can start working on this one on MD-eve. But the elapsed-time should be no more than 24 hours:



Second, carbs:





I stole this recipe from food52 (even though I am mad at them). The only things that I changed were: adding sourdough starter, replacing the milk with buttermilk, and melting the butter. Oh, yeah, and not measuring anything. They were still heavenly.

Third, carbs with fat and sugar:






I made this batter and let it chill overnight. I served it with berries, orange marmalade, and whole-milk ricotta with maple syrup stirred into it. 

You all probably wish that you were my mother, since we invited her, too; except for my actual mother, since she had to raise me in order to qualify for this brunch. 
Keep up the good work, Mom,
Tofu




No comments:

Post a Comment