Thursday, October 17, 2013

It Smells Like A Fajita Joint In Here

Dear Johanna Yorke,

Since you don't know that I exist, I am writing this dispatch to you in big letters in order to get your attention. And since you are my hero, I thought that you might be interested in this update regarding my lifelong quest to make beans as good as yours.

Last night, I had an epiphany: Why are the beans at my favorite local Mexican restaurants so much better than mine? Follow-up question: why do I always gain two pounds after going out for Mexican, but not when I make Mexican at home? Epiphany: you guys don't drain your beans (follow-up epiphany: either that or you get them dried and cook them yourselves with tons of salt). Yes, Johanna, salt is delicious. I am on to you. 

But would the beans taste all can-ny like un-rinsed chick peas on the salad bar? I wasn't sure, so I consulted the back of the Goya can. And, there it is, right on their proprietary rice and beans recipe, "1 can Goya black beans, undrained." 

With newfound confidence, I made the following enchiladas. And I was not disappointed:  

For the rice, I made basmati with 1 T olive oil, 1 t turmeric [since we all know that yellow things taste better than white things], 1 t garlic powder, 1 t smoked paprika, 1 t salt, and 1 t American saffron (all dumped right in the rice cooker before turning it on). 
Top left -- tomatillo sauce: 1 c tomatillos (from a can), 1 t minced garlic, 1 t olive oil, 1 shallot (diced), 10 splashes of habanero Tabasco sauce; cook on medium heat until tomatillos are broken up and saucy (you'll know it's ready when it smells like enchiladas).
Bottom right -- poblanos: cook on high heat with some olive oil, one shallot (sliced), 1 t minced garlic, 1 t salt, and 1 t cumin. You'll know they're ready when the shallot browns and it smells like fajitas.
Bottom left -- the magic beans: heat a few T of olive oil and add 1 t minced garlic, 1 T cumin, 1 T lemon juice, 1 T honey, 1 shallot (diced), and 1 t green Tabasco sauce. Then add 2 cans of UNDRAINED (gasp!) beans and a few T of chopped cilantro. Cook on low until the beans are almost falling apart.
Yes, I am a multi-taskin' mama. 
I microwaved some flour (bottom) and corn (top) tortillas. Even after microwaving, the corn ones are hard to roll. Stuff them with the poblanos and a slice of cheese, place in an OILED baking dish, and top with the tomatillo sauce and some salsa. Bake at 425 degrees until starting to brown, 15-30 minutes. 
Rice on one side, beans on the other.


Your Stalker-Friend,
Tofu


2 comments:

  1. Is that the infamous "secret" rice cooker? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You worked hard. I wish I had been there to share the fruits of your labor.

    ReplyDelete