Friday, February 15, 2013

I'm Not Corny

Dear Turkey,

NB: what is the deal with these font errors? I'd rather bake something than waste my time fixing this, blogger.com. 

When I was little, my mom used to do all kinds of corny crap that I hated. Like, for Valentine's Day, she would put out a special snack and probably even cut some hearts out of paper and draw pictures of us on them. How embarrassing. 

Well, I'm a mom now. And this is the story of how I made a special Valentine's Day snack for my family, complete with cut-out-hearts with pictures of us on them. 

First, the cookies. I saw chocolate crinkle cookies at a bakery one day and I knew that I needed to add them to my repertoire. They are what we call "adult cookies," because you should only enjoy them with your valentine after engaging in some rousing...oh, no, that's not why; it's because they're rich and not too sweet. Although I'm sure they'd taste really good after any kind of physical activity (actually, for MY Valentine's Day present, my husband left work early so that he could have fun with our baby and I could go for a run, [and eat ten cookies when I got back]).

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies:
Melt: 
7 oz unsweetened chocolate and 7 T butter
To that, add: 
1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 3/4 c flour
1/4 c cocoa
1/2 t baking powder
Pinch salt

Form into balls and place on a baking stone covered with parchment paper (or skip the balls and just drop them with a big spoon like I did). Sprinkle with a little more salt and lots of powdered sugar. 

Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes.




Then, arrange them in a tableau so that they can be part of this complete Valentine's Day snack:

The cookies, dates with goat cheese and honey, Toblerone, pear nectar and sparkling water, flowers that your mom got you THREE WEEKS ago and are still beautiful

and some hearts that you cut out of post-it notes and drew pictures on
Don't you wish you were my valentine? 

I moss you,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment