Monday, January 27, 2014

People Like Glaze

Dear Turkey,

Glaze is like those hot towels that they put on your legs when you get a pedicure: it takes two seconds, it's cheap, but people love it. So, maybe you've never had a pedicure (your loss); take my word for it. My legs can feel those hot towels melting my shin splints like it's happening right now (and I'm not in my office with no heat). 

My constituents like glaze. I always thought it was a little overrated, but, since motherhood (read: pregnancy and nursing) has changed my caloric needs, I now enjoy things like sour cream, whipped cream, frosting, and glaze. They used to feel like useless calories; now I use those calories to make milk that tastes "sweet" and "yummy" (actual quote -- not to be confused with the self-serve fro-yo chain "Sweet and Yummy," which I also use to make breast milk whenever the opportunity presents itself).  

These "It's a New Semester Muffins" are adapted from All-Bran:

In a bowl, combine: 3 c flour, 1 c sugar, 2 T baking powder, 1 t cinnamon, 1/2 t salt, 1 c All-Bran Buds, 4 mashed bananas, 2/3 c soy milk, 1/2 c oil. Bake muffins at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Makes 24. 
When they are done, drizzle them with 2 T soy milk mixed with 1 c confectioners sugar. 
They are pretty sweet so you might want to have some beans and rice for dessert. When the rice was done I added turmeric, salt, and olive oil. Another bean discovery: after adding un-drained beans to the pot (I sauteed some olive oil, garlic, cumin, lemon, and honey first), let the liquid cook off without stirring the beans. This made a nice umami layer at the bottom (you have to make sure they don't burn, but it's worth it). Top with avocado and fruity salsa. 

Enjoy your pedicure,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment