Friday, September 19, 2014

Good Curry That Your Mom Will Like

Dear Turkey,

I love Indian food. However, I sometimes feel gross after I eat it out (since tons of butter, salt, and ghee make things taste good), so I like to make it at home (it's easy, you just say: honey, make me some curry). Making curry for my parents is a challenge because they don't like spicy food (I know). But this is a winner; I didn't feel gross, it was tasty, easy, and used up things from my mom's (the tomato pusher's) garden.

Easy, Healthy, Fast Curry adapted from this quality blog.

Ingredients:


Directions:

Chop an onion and a few cloves of garlic and cook it in a few T of oil in a big, heavy pot with 1-3 T (to taste) of: salt, curry powder, cumin, coriander, ginger, and turmeric. I used ground spices but you don't have to. Add a few T of lemon juice and cook on really high heat until it's splattering all over the kitchen and the spices are so dark you think it's about to burn. Then add a few big chopped tomatoes so your mom doesn't make you take them home, or a can of diced tomatoes (undrained), and two cans of chick peas (rinsed and drained). Cook all of this for a few more minutes until the tomatoes fall apart and the chick peas are starting to brown. Then throw in a handful of spinach that won't even make a dent in the amount that's in your mom's garden. (If it's going to frost that night, your mom is probably worked into a frenzy.) Blend this with an immersion blender, but leave some chunks. Season to taste. 

I served this with Jasmati rice that I cooked with a little salt, lots of Tabasco sauce, and...

...Quick, Easy, Fast (did I say quick and fast?), Naan:


I love the prepackaged Naan from the grocery store, but it costs like $5 for one package. This was really easy (and quick, and fast). I adapted it from here.

Ingredients (for 2 flatbreads -- I would double it next time):

2 c flour
2 T sugar
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
6 T plain yogurt + a few T water to make a workable dough (if you use nonfat yogurt, you can add olive oil instead here)

Directions:

Knead everything with your hands until it comes together. Let it rest, covered, for half an hour or so if you have time. With a floured rolling pin, roll it out as thin as you possibly can (it's hard, don't stress, just give up when you get tired), and cut it into rounds. Then, heat up an ungreased (besides whatever it's seasoned with) cast iron pan on medium heat (the pan should get pretty hot pretty fast). Put a round directly on the pan. You'll think it will stick; it will be okay. It will smell like burning; it will be okay. After a minute or two it will start to get brown with a few black areas. Flip it and cook the other side the same way. Serve with the curry and rice:


Enjoy,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment