Sunday, September 21, 2014

Another Guest Post!

It's a guest post from people on weird diets!

Here is my guest post contribution to your fabulous blog, about a year late (I'm blushing). A different spin on rice and beans, excellent for using veggies from your CSA and/or attempting to get more veggies into your family (I am going for both!). I sautéed onion (1 large), 3 shallots, 3 leeks , 5 carrots, 3 celery ribs and 2 garlic (diced) with salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaves, deglazing w/white wine. While cooking veggies, start 1 cup dry rice in rice cooker.
I added two 32 oz. cartons of Imagine No Chik Broth and brought to a simmer for 4-5 minutes.
Next I added 11 oz Super Greens, I usually use spinach but this sounded so healthy! Let wilt in simmering broth, 1-3 minutes to your (or your family's) preference.
Finally, add cooked rice and 1 can of your favorite beans (I used cannellini today but chickpeas are also great). Were this just for me, I might add 3 cans but my family complains if I up the bean ratio (so picky!). Grated parmesan cheese on top is awesome (if you aren't on a stupid restrictive diet that denies you dairy products like I am. I miss dairy so much more than I can express... Sigh). My family plans to add spinach cheddar tortellini to their dinner bowls.





Just a note to say my dinner table was uncharacteristically quiet last night. Everyone was busy eating and had far less time for complaints or demands. I got the ultimate compliment, "Mama, this is REALLY good. Seriously! I'd eat this again." This from a child who cannot eat the same meal within a week to ten day timeframe because it gets boring. Hmmm. I call that success. And, if you're a weirdo like me, it makes a great breakfast too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment