Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Vegan Blueberry Hand Pies

Dear Turkey,

I'm always up for
Baking something that's supposed
To appear rustic


Vegan Blueberry Hand Pies
(makes 10-15, adapted from here)

Ingredients:
- 2 c fruit (I used whole blueberries -- frozen fruit would work too) -- this dough would work great with a savory filling as well
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 T lemon peel (dried is fine)
- 2 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 c solid coconut oil (I made this on a hot day and the oil was totally liquid and it was fine)
- 1/2 c ice water

Instructions:
- Combine the first 4 ingredients and set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients and mix with your hands until the dough comes together. I was amazed by how forgiving this dough is (and it's great that you don't have to chill it, even on a hot day). You might want to start by adding just some of the water and add more as needed. 
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a piece of wax paper. I didn't need much flour to keep it from sticking. Use the top of a glass, the top of a jar, or a pastry cutter (or just freehand it) to cut 6-inch circles out of the dough. (I used a pastry cutter and then rolled each circle out a bit more to make them bigger). This isn't rocket science. It doesn't really matter how many you make and how thick they are, or even what shape they are.
- Fill each circle with enough filling to make it tasty, but not so much that it's a pain to seal it. I used a little water on my fingers to seal them and then crimped each one with a fork. I had quite a bit of filling left over, which I ate. 
- Arrange the pies on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper (this might be better than a stone because they did leak quite a bit). They won't spread out while baking. Bake at 400 F until the pies are starting to get golden brown, probably somewhere between 20 and 45 minutes, depending on how big they are and how thick the dough is. Cool completely and serve or freeze. 

Enjoy,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment