I can't believe I
Have never made savory
Oatmeal before this
Quick, Savory, and Cheesy Oatmeal Risotto With Pesto
(serves 2-3, adapted from here)
- For the pesto: about 1/3 c packed basil leaves, about 2/3 c peas (frozen are fine, just microwave them to room temp first), a few T lemon juice and a little salt and pepper, blended in your blender or food processor (a coarse pesto is fine -- you don't have to blend it perfectly smooth)
- 1 c oatmeal of your choice (I used quick, but steel cut would be good here if you have more time)
- 4 c veggie broth (I used Better than Bouillon No Chicken and made it a little on the salty side)
- 1 T olive oil
- about 1/2 shallots and/or onions (frozen is fine), diced
- 1 c shredded parm
- Cook the onions and the oil for 5-10 minutes until the onions are starting to brown or even caramelize a bit.
- Add the oatmeal and cook for a minute, stirring, just to toast it.
- Add the broth and cook on medium/low heat, until the oatmeal is almost done (timing will depend on what kind of oatmeal you use). Stir in the cheese and cook just a little more.
- Top with pesto and serve.