Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Husband Rocks Weeknight Indian (Food)




Thank you, Husband 

Dear Turkey,
The other night I was holding my baby and I absentmindedly told my husband to make something for dinner using red potatoes, naan (sometimes I make my own but this was from Wegmans), onions, cukes, and tomatoes. In other words, all of things that were going to go bad that needed to be used up. Usually, this is my area of expertise, and my husband's area of expertise is using just enough of something so that the dish is perfectly flavored...leaving random amounts of things in the fridge...hence my area of expertise. In fact, if I was a congressperson, I would definitely be on the House Appropriations Committee, because my area of expertise is doling out exactly the right amounts of everything (be it portions, cookies, bananas, or shampoo) so that everything that is supposed to be used up by the end of the week is used up in its entirety.
Anyway, in just a few minutes this is what my husband whipped up:
1. Naan: baked in the oven on a preheated stone at 400 degrees for three minutes.
2. Red potatoes and onions: diced, cooked in a hot cast-iron pan with a little oil, chipotle chili powder (the spicy kind), tumeric, cumin, salt, and pepper, until crusty brown.
3. Raita: plain fat-free yogurt with tomato, cilantro, and cuke cut up in it, with cumin and salt.
4. Tamrind chutney: tamrind paste, honey, minced ginger.
I piled all of it up on my naan and ate with with a fork and knife. So good.
I moss you,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment