Friday, September 21, 2012

Mom CSA

Dear Turkey,
As you know, we always plant a garden. Even during the summer of 2008 when we were in Wyoming with the Forest Service, we made my mom come over and water it (and boy was it amazing to see when we got back after two months...even in the middle of the night; we ran out to see it as soon as we arrived), much to her dismay (at least we paid her in canned  goods).
This summer, however, all we grew was eleven acres of grass that we paid our little neighbor to brush hog at the end of the season (don't ask me what the going rate is -- you don't want to know). Sad...but I guess you could say that we were concentrating our energies on growing something even more impressive. In fact, right now that impressive little person is 97th percentile for height and off the charts for weight.
Another sad thing: since we moved, we are far away from the regional market. However, I've been exploring some of our local markets (I especially like Hamilton).
To solve this problem, enter Mom, aka Grandma. She has a giant double-wide garden made out of telephone poles and magic dirt (if you've seen it you will know what I mean). She even has her own CSA. The cost: free. Members: us. Delivery times: whenever she tells us to go out there and pick some chard before the bugs get to it. So, finally, I know what it's like to have a giant box of arugula (my favorite - no problem)/kale/yellow pear tomatoes (she got those seeds by accident from the seed company)/"what are those called...heirloom beets?"/whatever else happens to be ripe. It's been really fun but I think my husband will be happy to take a break from kale, even if it is a super-vegetable.
Here is one of our last meals from the Mom CSA, at least for the summer harvest: caprese with lemon-basil and sliced cukes that escaped the pickling:

That blurry thing on the left is my husband's fork (he just couldn't wait)
I moss you,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment