Monday, November 18, 2013

Dear Michael Pollan,

Thank you for letting me review my local library's copy of Cooked, your latest book. I also appreciate how toned my arms are from holding it up, since my library only had the large-print edition. Although you do go off on your predictable rants, I agree with those rants, so I really enjoyed your book (even though reading it in bed gave me carpal tunnel syndrome). In fact, you inspired me to make this bread: 



...the most beautiful loaf of bread that I have ever made. As you know, I am a lazy baker, and I'm usually satisfied with whatever I make, as long as it has plenty of fat, salt, and/or sugar (preferably and). However, your chapter on bread made me realize that I do have a lot of bread tricks in my repertoire, and, while I do use them sometimes, I don't usually use them AT THE SAME TIME (crucial detail). [I also have a lot of cheese tricks in my repertoire, like, "honey, will you PLEASE make some cheese?!?"]


This bread was inspired by one of everybody's favorite bakers (her Pugliese recipe), and tofu-ified, by, well, me. First, I kneaded together a lot of sourdough starter (like a cup -- I consider that a lot), 2 c flour, 1 c warm water, 1 t yeast, 1 T sugar, and 1.5 t salt. I kneaded it in a bowl (I always do that, but you re-iterated how it's helpful for wet dough, so I'm mentioning it here) for five minutes, which is five minutes longer than I usually knead (you motivated me there, too).

Second, I let it rise for about five hours in a covered bowl; during that time (thanks to you) I folded it onto itself three different times. It took about ten seconds total and I really think it made a difference (I don't really believe in punching down, but this was a nice compromise). You also reminded me how awesome it is to bake in my Dutch oven (which I actually preheated, for once; I also generously salted and oiled it). 

I baked the bread at 475 degrees for 5 minutes and then 450 degrees for 20 minutes, all with the lid on. Then I took the lid off and finished it at 450 degrees for another 5 or 10 minutes until it started to brown. 


I didn't let anyone slice it until it was cool (also a rarity in my house). 


According to you, real bakers take pictures of the inside of the bread.

L8ter,
Tofu

1 comment:

  1. Looks so very yummy. I am cutting down on bread, but I long for a homemade hearth loaf.

    ReplyDelete