Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Hello, Lunch

Dear Turkey,

Here are some more translations from my life:

You may remember these old favorites:

Guac-coo-kai: Guacamole
Ha-coo-kai: Helicopter
Cock-coo-kai: Cock-a-doodle-doo

Add to that:

Croc-coo-kai: Crocodile
Eli-goo-li-goo-li: Elephant
Lion-goo-li-goo-li: Lion

Actual conversation:

Him: "Mama Milk, all gone!"
Me: "No, the Mama Milk is not all gone. There is as much Mama Milk as you want. It will never run out. That's what's so awesome about it. And, the more you eat, the more I can eat."
Him: "Mama Milk, all gone!"

Another popular phrase at my house is, "Hello, Tractor" [pronounced "Heh-woah Tractor"]. This can be used at any time, even in one's sleep, when looking for the infamous not-gone Mama's Milk.

"Hello, Tractor" inspired me to create a new category for this blog, called Hello, Lunch [except that Blogger doesn't allow categories to have commas, so it will henceforth be known as Hello: Lunch].

Hello: Lunch is when beautiful ingredients (preferably purchased by your mom) magically combine to form a lunch that is so good that you are ashamed. This magic usually involves butter and salt.

Really, though, I've been trying to make lunches as good as the ones that I get at restaurants, and I've realized that I need to be way more liberal with butter, salt, garlic, and lemon. Even salting by the handful wouldn't make my food anywhere near as unhealthy as restaurant or processed food.

Hello: Ingredients
Yes, this is how much butter and oil I used. I sauteed a few T of minced garlic, plenty of salt and pepper, and a T of Italian seasoning. When the garlic was starting to brown I added a few T of lemon juice, but I should have added more. Then I added a generous splash of white wine. (Mom, was that the one for cooking or drinking?) I let it bubble for a few minutes until it was starting to reduce, and then I added 1 c of frozen peas. I let them thaw and then thew the pasta (I had already cooked it) back into the pot. 

Top with cheese and enjoy with a New Yorker. This lunch courtesy of your mom who provides the ingredients and watches your baby, so that you can dedicate yourself to making more delicious Mama's Milk.

For dessert, a combination that would offend many people.
But not me.

Moss-coo-kai,
Tofu 

No comments:

Post a Comment