This is better than
The sum of its parts. When you
Make it, you will see.
(adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
- 2.5 lbs zucchini
- 1-2 t salt
- 1/2 c arborio rice
- 1 onion
- 5 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 T flour
- 2/3 c parm, grated
- pinch papper
- Grate the zucchini in a food processor and then toss it with the salt and put it in a colander over a bowl to drain for about 20 mins, squeezing occasionally (I have skipped this whole draining business with complete success).
- Grate the onion and garlic in the food processor (since you haven't washed it yet).
- Heat 2 T of the oil and the onion and garlic in a big pot and cook on medium until the onion is translucent and just starting to brown, about 5 or 10 mins.
- Add the zucchini (save the liquid if you drained it) and cook for another 5 minutes or so, until it starts to give up its (remaining) liquid.
- Add the flour and pepper and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring. Then pour in the zucchini liquid (if you did that), rice, and half of the parm, and bring back to a boil. If it's really dry and sticking you can add milk, water, or broth.
- Oil a big flat baking dish and pour everything in. Drizzle/sprinkle with remaining oil/cheese.
- Bake at 425 F for 25 mins and then broil for 1-2 mins (watch carefully!). I have doubled this recipe and just used the same size pan, baking it for longer, and it still works.