Thursday, April 20, 2017

Tortillas!

Dear Turkey,

You do have time to
Make some tortillas from scratch
Your mouth will thank you


Tortillas
(makes 6)

Ingredients:
- 2 c white flour (or whole what flour, or masa harina for corn tortillas - add more liquid if needed)
- 1/2 t salt
- 3/4 c warm water or whey from your latest cheese-making project (I highly recommend whey)
- 3 T olive oil

Instructions:
- Knead all the ingredients together with your hands until the dough is smooth (2-3 minutes). Let the dough rest for 10 minutes if you have time.
- Divide the dough into 6 parts and roll them out into disks on wax paper. I have a tortilla press -- I am not a gadget girl, but this is a fun kitchen tool (just remember to line both sides of the press with plastic wrap and to put some paper or cardboard in between the two sides of the press [below the bottom plastic wrap] when you're pressing if you need more leverage). 
- Very lightly oil a nonstick pan (yes, I would use a nonstick pan here) and let it get pretty hot. You can get into a rhythm of cooking/rolling out at the same time. Cook each tortilla on both sides until brown spots start to form (about 1-2 minutes per side). I don't know if this is technically correct, but I wait for mine to puff up just the slightest bit and then I call them done.
- Serve warm. These freeze well.

Enjoy,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment