Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Amazing Rice Cooker One Pot Beans and Rice

Dear Turkey,

I can't believe I
Never thought of this before --
It is so easy


Amazing Rice Cooker One Pot Beans and Rice
(serves 3)

Ingredients:
- 1.5 c rice, measured with the rice cooker cup (I used white rice because it cooks faster and I was hungry)
- veggie broth to cook the rice (use the rice cooker measurements for amount), I used Vogue Cuisine Vegebase
- 1 can beans, rinsed and drained, I used black 
- 1 t minced garlic, jarred is fine
- 1/8 c diced onion (I used frozen and I didn't defrost it)
- 1 T lemon juice (I used bottled)
- 1 T honey, or add more to taste
- spices and herbs of your choice: I used 1 t fresh thyme and 1 t fresh oregano. Cumin and chili powder would be nice, too. 
- garnishes: I used tomato salsa, corn salsa, red pickled cabbage, guacamole, and green tabasco. Cheese would be good, too. 

Instructions:
- Put the first 8 ingredients in the rice cooker (I didn't even bother stirring it), and turn the rice cooker on. If you have a one-button rice cooker like I do, you may have to set it to "cook" again if it turns to the "warm" setting before the rice is done. Just sample the rice and stir everything and push "cook" again. 
- When the rice is tender, leave on the "warm" setting for a few minutes to get a nice crust on the bottom and let everything get a bit of a risotto/creamy consistency. 
- Top with garnishes and enjoy.

Enjoy,
Tofu

1 comment: