Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Vegan Summer Squash Emapanadas

Dear Turkey,

I used to buy the
Wrappers, but this recipe
Is really speedy


Vegan Summer Squash Empanadas
(makes 16-20, dough adapted from here)

For the dough:

Ingredients:
- 3 c flour (I used white)
- 3/4 c canola oil
- 1-2 t sea salt (or to taste -- I like my dough salty)
- 1/2 c cold water

Instructions:
- With your hands or a stand mixer with a dough hook (which is what I used), knead the dough until a ball forms, and about 5 minutes more, slowly adding more water (or flour) if necessary (I added a few T of water).
- Divide into 16-20 pieces and roll into disks. I used my tortilla press lined with wax paper on both sides, but you can use a rolling pin or your hands. If the dough is really hard to work with, chill it for a few minutes and make sure your rolling surfaces are oiled or you're using wax paper. 
- Cover a cookie sheet with a lip around the edges (not a baking stone in case they leak) with parchment paper. Place about 1 T of filling in the middle of each round (less is more!), fold in half, and thoroughly pinch closed (wetting your fingers if that helps; I didn't need to). 
- Bake at 400 F for 25-40 minutes, until the dough feels dry and the tops are starting to get golden brown. Cool completely. These freeze well. 

For the filling:

Ingredients:
- 4 small/medium summer squashes (I used yellow and green), sliced into thin rounds
- 2 T olive oil
- salt, pepper, smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder, and fresh herbs (optional, I used oregano and rosemary), to taste  
- 1/2 c diced onion (I used frozen straight from the freezer)
- 1 T minced garlic (I used jarred)

Instructions:
- In a large pan (I used nonstick), combine everything and cook on high heat, stirring often, until almost all of the liquid is cooked off and the pieces facing the bottom of the pan are beginning to caramelize and brown (this may take 30 minutes or more depending on water content).
- Continue stirring in order to brown/caramelize a few surfaces of the veggies. Season to taste. Remove from heat and let cool a little before filling empanadas. 

Enjoy,
Tofu 

No comments:

Post a Comment