Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Dear Turkey,

7:30 PM. Your family is playing outside. You are left to your own devices with the following: a fridge full of seasonal (in California) veggies that need to be used up, NPR, and these instructions: 

"It's easy. Just cook the shallots in some oil, then add the broth, the carrots, the asparagus, the milk, the cream, the spinach. Do it in that order and don't overcook anything. Use salt and pepper. Just do it. It takes five minutes:" 


In case anybody cares, here is a better description of what I actually did: I cut up one shallot and cooked it in some hot oil until it started to brown. Then I added 2 c of veggie broth and brought it to a boil. I added a handful of cut up carrots and let them boil for a minute, and then added a huge handful of cut up asparagus. After another minute I turned the heat down to low and added 1 or 2 T each of milk and cream. I turned off the heat and threw in a very big handful of spinach. After it wilted I added a few t of salt and pepper. This made enough for two people, which was enough, because I think that this soup is better made fresh each night.

Happy Spring (in California -- just kidding, it's been spring there since February),
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment