Monday, July 30, 2012

No Snap!

Dear Tofu,

I am so glad I finally got a cast iron pan. I cooked in it all weekend with fantastic results. If only I had gotten one sooner! I had a little trouble getting it clean after I baked the frittata in it (more on that another time), but I guess baked egg and cheese are about as hard to get off a surface as anything. Otherwise, my seasoning process seemed to work great.

For dinner on Saturday, I made a recipe I've been wanting to try since I saw it on Food Wishes: Veracruz-Style Red Snapper. The only problem was my fish market didn't have snapper when I went shopping. I chose cod instead, which probably made no difference since I've read that most fish sold as red snapper is actually rock cod. Instead of baking the fish individually, I just stacked it up in the cast iron pan in which I had made the saute. Other than that, I made it exactly as directed, which isn't usually my style, but it looked so good. See for yourself!


I paired it with a cornbread from the Flour cookbook made with coarse corn meal, corn kernels, and thyme. It was good, but too dry for my taste, maybe because I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose white. That made it perfect to go with this juicy, salty fish though.


This combo got Angel's approval as well and I would definitely make it again. I would make a few changes next time though. I like the thyme flavor in the cornbread, but I would try to get the corn bread more moist ("moister" just sounds inappropriate to me). And I would brush the top with a honey butter to give it a sweet crust. For the fish, I would use fewer capers and less oregano (which you would probably skip altogether). Other seasonings might work too.

Hope you and the other tofus are healthy and happy.

Love,
Turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment