Friday, July 27, 2012

'Tis Squashes

Dear Turkey,
Thank you for your musings on cast iron pans. To season mine, I usually put some olive oil on a paper towel and smear it around the pan until it's about as shiny as my hair. I do have a cast iron griddle and we love it. My husband calls it the "skiddle" because he says it's a cross between a skillet and a griddle. How creative. It is great for pancakes. I also have a "fruit only" cast iron pan (oh I can't even choose what joke to put here) that I can bake things in so that they don't end up tasting like onions or stir fry. I also have a dutch oven which is great for soups and for baking bread. Cast iron pans are so great because you can cook in them and then put them in the oven, like if you're making my favorite Paella (originally by Mark Bittman, who is awesome, but I am using a different link because I am boycotting the New York Times...I guess they think their journalists should get paid or something...).
Speaking of cast iron pans and the NYT, I made these tacos for lunch yesterday. I usually like this column, but, while mine did look like this:

(photo: nyt.com)
They weren't worthy of being in the New York Times, even after I rescued them with lots of balsamic vinegar, cumin, and wedges of fresh lime.
I moss you,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment