Thursday, July 26, 2012

'Tis the Season


No, that's not a picture of something delicious. Restrain yourself from taking an enthusiastic bite, unless you got a set of metal teeth like that guy in the James Bond movie. I'm writing this as my new cast iron pan gets its second coat of seasoning in the oven. You've said I ought to get a cast iron skillet and I decided you were right. In fact, I think I'm going to get a cast iron grill/griddle top for my stove too. Do you have one? I think it would be great during the winter or when I make pancakes.

Small problem: did you know that everyone and his gay half-cousin's dog has a different idea about how to season cast iron? Now, if I were you, I know I'd just do whatever made sense and move on; I spent two hours researching yesterday and afterward did just what the directions that came with the pan said, and then fried up some shrimp.

I wasn't happy though. The shrimp stuck to the pan and I ended up using a little soap with the sponge to get everything off (I know, I know, a big no-no). And still it didn't look spotless afterward. So today I'm putting on a few new coats. I liked an article I read yesterday on the chemistry of cast iron seasoning, but I didn't feel like racing out to spend 15 bucks on flax oil for pan seasoning. That is, unless you tell me different. So I'm just giving it a thin coat of canola oil, putting it in the oven at 500F for an hour, then letting it cool. Repeat. Your thoughts?

I promise that next post I'll have something delicious. I'm not good about taking pictures, but maybe for this blog I will be. I'm having friends for brunch on Sunday. My proposed menu is:
  1. Sweet and white potato hash (made ahead in the cast iron pan, thank you)
  2. A crustless quiche or frittata (is there even a difference?) with sausage and carmelized vegetables
  3. Sticky buns from the Flour Bakery cookbook
  4. Fruit and mimosas (of course)
I made up the sticky buns on Tuesday and froze them, along with the caramel. Of course, we had to try at least one that night; we made up the two small end rolls and served them with a bit of the Edy's caramel ice cream we had in the freezer. I'm not sure what kind of hyperbole is suitable for how good they were. Angel likened the knowledge of how to make them to nuclear bomb science: our destruction is assured unless we're sanctioned sufficiently to prevent their production.

I'd post a picture, but we didn't take any. Recipes and pictures from this Sunday to come. Wish you could be here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I get it..."'Tis the Season," like seasoning the pan...haha.
    - Tofu

    ReplyDelete