Sunday, January 6, 2013

I Heart Mexican

Dear Turkey,

This is the story of how people who live


here
 And actually enjoy and seek out scenes like

this
make Mexican food. I think that Mexican food is my favorite kind of food (except maybe Ethiopian -- maybe I do live in the wrong hemisphere). Every week when we make the grocery list (yes, we do plan our meals out every week because I hate spontaneity and I am a control freak) we have a conversation like this:

Honey: what do you want to make this week?
Me: Mexican
Honey: we had that last week
Me: how about beans and rice?
Honey: that's Mexican
Me: so can I bake something?

Actually, that part about me hating spontaneity is actually not true when it comes to food and cooking (although it is true when it comes to every other aspect of my life). As you know, I love to use up random things in my fridge and turn them into something delicious. This is what happened yesterday; we had some feta from our anchovies adventure and two beautiful avocados from when my parents brought bagels over for New Years (if you are confused about why they brought avocados you are obviously not a fake Jew). 

So this is what we did: we sauteed a red onion (sliced) with some oil, cumin, garam masala, chipotle chili, and season salt (my husband's go-to-onion-seasoning), sliced the avocados (and let our baby try some -- he loved it!), crumbled the feta (my husband never buys pre-grated or crumbled cheese, "it dilutes the flavor"), and drained and rinsed the beans.

we put it all together in a small tortilla

panini-ified it

and enjoyed!

We topped them with salsa and/or our favorite BBQ sauce.

I moss you,
Tofu

1 comment:

  1. OMG, me too!! We need to take a trip to the Adirondacks this summer to this fabulous Mexican place http://www.chilinights.com/ It's only like a 4 hour drive! Yes, I just revealed my very secret favorite restaurant on your blog for all the world to see. Fabulous website, not so much, but amazing food, yes, yes, yes! And it is SO worth the drive (even without the side trip to Enchanted Forest Water Safari).

    ReplyDelete