Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Boston Beans and Rice

Dear Turkey,

Being a country girl, I haven't been to Boston since 2005. But if this is how beans and rice rolls there, then lucky them. I adapted this recipe from The Moosewood, and I'm guessing they called it "Boston" because the molasses makes it taste like baked beans, but way more interesting.

I was really excited by this recipe because I am always trying to expand my bean repertoire. These beans don't have anything spicy (although that can be remedied at time of eating by some Garlic Tabasco Sauce), but they do have mustard and tamari. And if that's not salty enough, you can serve them with rice pilaf from a box like I did.

Boston Beans and Rice

Ingredients:
- 2 cans black beans and 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, sliced very thin
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/4 c tamari
- 1/3 c molasses
- 1 t dried mustard
- 1 t prepared mustard
- 2 T olive oil

Instructions:
- Heat the oil and add the onion and garlic. Cook on high heat for 2-5 minutes, until translucent and a little brown (if those things can occur simultaneously). 
- Add remaining ingredients and cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes until most of the liquid cooked off.
- Serve with rice pilaf, Garlic Tabasco Sauce, and corn tortillas. I didn't even use cheese (gasp).

Enjoy,
Tofu


No comments:

Post a Comment