Thursday, March 5, 2015

Nutri Grain Bars

Dear Turkey,

Ah, Nutri Grain Bars: so tasty, so many ingredients I can't pronounce. So I bought the organic ones, but they were almost $1 apiece.

I hunted around on the internet, combined a few recipes, and, voila: delicious, fast, so, so, tasty, and easily made vegan. Many of the recipes that I found required a food processor, so I simplified the dough to skip that step. I was sold, however, on making my own fruit compote instead of using jam; it was easy and totally worth it.

Nutri Grain Bars
(this only makes 8, so feel free to double or triple -- they freeze well)

Ingredients:
- 3 c frozen fruit (I used blueberries, raspberries, and mango)
- 2 T lemon juice (I used the jarred stuff)
- 2 T honey (or not honey if you're vegan)
- 1 c white flour
- 1/3 c whole wheat flour
- 1/3 c whole ground flaxseed (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 t baking powder
- 2 T honey or sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 egg (or mix a couple additional T of flax with a few T of warm water and let stand a few minutes before adding)
- 1 T canola oil or fat of your choice
- 1-2 T milk (I used soy)

Instructions:
- For the compote: combine the first 3 ingredients in a pan and cook down, stirring often, for about 15 minutes on low/med heat. It should be like jam, or even a bit thicker. Add more honey to taste. (You could also use jam for the filling, [or Nutella, just sayin'].)
- For the dough: combine remaining ingredients and knead with your hands until a ball forms, and then another minute or two. Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper, you are shooting for something between the size of a piece of paper and a cookie sheet. 
- Cut the dough lengthwise into two rectangles. Spread a line of filling down the middle of each rectangle, and then fold each one lengthwise, pinching the edges closed. You will have two long, filled cylinders. 
- Cut each cylinder into four "bars," pinching the ends closed a bit if you want. Transfer to a cookie sheet with the parchment paper, and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Enjoy,
Tofu 


No comments:

Post a Comment