Monday, April 20, 2015

Beans and Gnocchi

Dear Turkey,

I love beans and I love gnocchi. But sometimes when I combine them, I am faced with the quandary of going "Mexican" or "Italian." This dish is a light, garlic-y compromise. I made it for lunch and ate the rest for dinner (meaning, I ate a whole package of gnocchi and a whole can of beans in 6 hours -- go me).

I used whole wheat gnocchi and I really liked how it's not quite as chewy as regular gnocchi, but you could use regular gnocchi, too. If this looks boring (it's not!) you could add a can of tomatoes or some fresh ones.


Gnocchi and Beans
(serves 2)

Ingredients:
- 1 package whole wheat gnocchi, cooked al dente with plenty of oil and salt in the water
- 1 can small white beans (I just rinsed them in the colander and left them there when I drained the gnocchi so they absorbed some pasta water)
- 3 T butter (optional, you can just increase the oil)
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 T lemon juice
- 3 T sherry or alcohol of your choice
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced or pressed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Italian parsley, for garnish

Instructions:
- Heat the oil, butter, garlic, and shallots and cook on high for a minute or so.
- Add the lemon juice and sherry and simmer for 3-5 minutes, until reduced by about a quarter.
- Add the gnocchi and beans and stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper and let stand for a few minutes.
- Top with parsley.

Enjoy,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment