Monday, April 27, 2015

Fluffy Maple Cocoa Cake

Dear Turkey,

Yogurt cupcakes are a standby in my house, but I had never applied the technique to a cake before. I wanted something chocolate-y and maple-y, but not too sweet. This cake is fluffy, tender, and just chewy enough, but, truthfully, it's really a quick bread and is awesome for breakfast with cream cheese.

I used vanilla yogurt, so I only added 1/2c maple syrup; since maple syrup is so expensive, I wanted to be sure I'd be able to taste it, but not go overboard. If you want something more cake-like, I would increase it to 1c. You could also throw in some chocolate chips. Omitting the eggs and adding a few T of canola oil, soy milk, and/or flax seed would also work great (I have replaced the yogurt totally with soy milk to make a vegan cake). And, no, it's not a typo that there's no salt. Maybe that's a French thing?

Fluffy Maple Cocoa Cake 

Ingredients: 
- 2 c yogurt (I used fat free vanilla, but full fat and/or plain works well, too)
- 2 eggs (optional, see note above)
- scant 1/2 c maple syrup (see note above)
- 1 t vanilla 
- scant c canola oil
- 3 c white flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour (optional, you can just increase the white flour, but it makes a nice, satisfying dense crumb)
- 1/2 c cocoa
- 1.5 t baking powder

Instructions:
- Grease two loaf pans.
- Mix everything until just combined.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 mins, or until a knife comes out clean.

Enjoy,
Tofu


No comments:

Post a Comment