Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Banana Bread I Always Make

Dear Turkey,

I make this every
Week. I can't believe I have
Never posted it.


The Banana Bread I Always Make
(makes 2 loaves, feel free to put one in the fridge to eat later in the week, or freeze one)

Ingredients:
- 3, 4, or 5 bananas, as ripe as you have (totally brown is fine)
- 2/3 c canola oil (plus enough to oil 2 loaf pans)
- 4 T flax or chia seed, whole or ground
- 1 scant c sugar
- 4 c flour (I usually use whole wheat, although white flour or a mix of other flours like barley, oat, or spelt works well. I find that I need to add 10 or so more minutes when baking with non-wheat flours. For this loaf, I subbed 1/2 c cocoa for 1/2 c flour. I often just use the whole amount of flour and add 1 c mini chocolate chips. Also, if you are using fewer than 5 bananas, and/or they aren't very ripe, you may want to only use 3 c flour.) 
- 2 t baking powder
- 2 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- A few T milk or yogurt (I usually use soy milk), optional

Instructions:
- Mash the first 4 ingredients. Stir in the next 4 ingredients. If the batter seems really dry (it shouldn't be pourable, but it should be mostly smoothable with a knife when you put it in the pans), add some milk.
- Divide between 2 greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 F until a knife comes out clean. This usually takes between 45 and 60 mins, although the number/ripeness of bananas is a factor. I like my banana bread a little bit undercooked, especially when it doesn't have eggs.

Enjoy,
Tofu

1 comment: