This tastes so creamy
But it's actually vegan
Prepare for bad breath
Garlicky Bean and Pasta Soup
- 4 cans white beans, rinsed and drained (I used cannellini and small white beans)
- 6 c veggie broth (I used Better than Bouillon)
- 1 can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 6 oz pasta (I used spirals)
- 4 5-inch sprigs fresh rosemary (keep sprigs intact)
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 6-10 cloves garlic, peeled
- parm, for topping
- In a big pot, combine the beans, broth, and tomatoes. Puree and heat to a simmer. Add the pasta and continue to simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a smaller pot, heat the oil, rosemary, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring often, until the garlic and rosemary start to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add a ladleful of the bean mixture to the hot oil and cook 2 minutes. Turn off heat and remove the garlic cloves and rosemary (if some pieces of rosemary fall off, don't worry). Save the garlic and rosemary sprigs for garnish.
- Return the oil with the ladleful of beans to the larger bean mixture. Bring to a boil to let the flavors marry. If the pasta isn't done, continue to simmer until it is.
- Garnish with rosemary, garlic, and parm.