This is another
Dish that is way more than the
Sum if its (5) parts
One Pot Pasta and Beans Magic
(serves 2, loosely adapted from smitten kitchen)
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 t minced garlic (jarred is fine)
- 4 tomatoes (halved or quartered), or 1 can diced tomatoes, or 1 tiny can tomato paste
- salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 can beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained (I used small white beans)
- 1 small handful pasta (I used gnocchi!)
- 1 c warm water from the tap
- for the garnish: 1 T olive oil, 1 t minced garlic, 1 t rosemary or another hearty herb, a generous pinch of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
- Heat the oil, garlic, and spices until the garlic just starts to brown (you could add some shallots or onion too if you want). Add the tomatoes, pasta, beans, and water. Throw in a parm rind if you have one.
- Simmer, stirring often, for 10-20 minutes, or until the pasta is done and the water is somewhat absorbed (but you want it to be brothy -- I ate it with a spoon). Add more water if you need to.
- Plate the pasta and, in the same pot, heat the garnish ingredients until the garlic just starts to brown and it smells amazing. Scrape the garnish onto the pasta and top with cheese and basil if you want.