This is the favorite
Of the custard recipes
That I've made so far
Grand Marnier Frozen Custard
(adapted from here, serves 4-6)
- 2 c whole milk
- 2 c heavy cream
- zest of one fresh orange
- 1 c sugar, divided
- pinch salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 t vanilla
- 3 T Grand Marnier
- In a big pot, bring the milk and cream to a boil, stirring often. Remove from heat and add the orange zest. Steep for 30-60 minutes.
- Add half of the sugar and slowly return it just to a boil. Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks and the rest of the sugar with a mixer until they are pale and thick.
- Spoon a ladleful of the milk mixture into the yolk mixture and whisk it in. Repeat (you're trying to warm it up a little bit).
- Remove the milk mixture from the heat and add the yolk mixture (make sure it doesn't boil). Stir for a minute until it's slightly thickened. Stir in the vanilla and Grand Marnier. If you're really scared that it hasn't thickened up, place it on low heat for a minute or two, stirring.
- Cool to room temperature and then chill, covered, in the fridge for at least 2 hours and up to a day. Churn in your ice cream maker. Have a frozen container ready to store it in as soon as you're done. Allow to warm up slightly from the freezer before serving.