Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Multigrain Bread with Dried Fruit and Oats

Dear Turkey,

Why does bread from the
Store cost $6 when this
Is fast and easy?


Multigrain Bread with Dried Fruit and Oats
(makes 2 loaves)

Ingredients:
- 4 c white flour
- 3 c whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat)
- 2 c uncooked oatmeal, any kind
- 1 c loosely packed seeds/nuts/dried fruit of your choice (I used craisins, golden raisins, and chia seeds)
- 4 T flax seeds, whole or ground
- 2.5 t yeast
- 3 c warm water
- 2 T honey (or sugar if you're vegan)
- 1-2 T salt (I like my bread a little salty so I went 2 T)
- more seeds/oats/honey/salt/fruit for sprinkling

Instructions:
- Combine water, yeast, and honey and let stand for a minute or two. 
- Add everything else except your sprinklings, trying not to let the salt come into direct contact with the yeast. 
- Knead for 8-10 minutes (I did this in my kitchenaid).
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (I warmed my oven up to 100 F and then put the dough in there with the door open a bit) for about 2 hours.
- Divide the dough in half and make two rough log shapes. Put each log into an oiled loaf pan. Sprinkle/drizzle with whatever toppings you want (I used honey and more oatmeal). 
- Let rest for about half an hour.
- Bake at 375 F for about 45-80 minutes. This will depend on many factors, but it took me about 75 minutes. At 45 minutes, start checking for the loaves to be getting brown and sounding hollow. If you're not sure, bake them longer. 
- Cool for a bit before removing from the pans and cool some more (if you can wait), before slicing. This bread freezes well (I sliced it first). 

Enjoy,
Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment