Monday, April 7, 2014

Amish Muffins and Amish Decaf Chai

Dear Turkey,

Greetings from Amish Country. I'm using this typewriter font in honor of the ingredients that I'm going to write about, which came from the Amish store

Turns out, the Amish make delicious whole milk yogurt. My youngest constituent calls it "cow yogurt," because there is a cow on the container. He likes to consume it in very big spoonfuls; he says, "pile of cow yogurt please." 

The Amish also make very delicious and cheap flour. I have never seen stone ground whole wheat flour for so cheap, and it's so light and fluffy, almost like pastry flour (which means it's probably not as as good for you as other whole wheat flours, but this is baking, after all, so I don't care).  

I made my favorite muffins, but replaced the flax with a cup of whole milk cow yogurt, and I used that beautiful Amish flour:


Since Amish people probably don't believe in spending $4 on a chai, I'm going to tell you about the decaf chai that I made yesterday. This is a fun chai to make with a toddler because of the tactile experience of adding the whole spices. 

I put a big mugful of soy milk in a pot and added two decaf tea bags, several cloves, part of a cinnamon stick, a pinch each of whole cardamom, cumin, and coriander. I brought it to a boil and let it stand for 5 minutes. Then I strained it into a mug and added some sugar.



Whole spices, especially cinnamon sticks, are often expensive. But not at the Amish store.

Talk to Ye Later,
Tofu 

No comments:

Post a Comment