Thursday, July 31, 2014

My Favorite Breakfast Makes My Kid Gag

Dear Turkey,

As you may know, I am really boring and I have been enjoying the same breakfast for, like, the last two years. Pretty much every day. But even a glance at my cereal makes my child gag. Before anybody rushes off to OT or PT, I'd like to add that cereal made me gag until I was six years old, and I couldn't eat salad until I was 12. I got over my sensory issues (at least those two), and I'm sure he will too. In the meantime I needed to find some new breakfast recipes that we could all eat together, like, sitting in the same room at the same time. 

I wanted something that was whole wheat-y and takes less time to eat than a bowl of cereal. I also wanted it to be sweet enough to eat plain but plain enough to be eaten with butter, jam, or nutella.Oh, and it has to be easy to make, of course. I adapted this recipe from this cool blog, and it totally meets/exceeds those criteria (and by "adapted" I mean that made it vegan and I increased the yield so they won't be gone in one hour). 

Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Bars (adapted from Budget Bytes)

Ingredients:
3 c oatmeal
2 c whole wheat flour
2/3 c brown sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 t cinnamon
2 t vanilla
1 c canola oil 
4 T flax or sesame seeds
2 c vanilla soymilk, whole milk, or a combo (if you use all whole milk you might want to increase the sugar)
1 c raisins

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a big giant bowl and mix until the lumps stop bothering you. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 mins in a big, oiled, pyrex baking dish. 

Enjoy,
Boring Tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment