Sunday, July 20, 2014

Those Fruity Vinegars

Dear Turkey,

Remember when you gave me these fruity vinegars?



I know, it was probably for Christmas, but I was saving them. You can stop judging me now because I finally used them:


I cooked some scallops in some butter, oil, salt, and garlic (enough so that you can flip them, but not so much so that they don't stick at all, since you want them to get all crispy), flipping them once, until they were nice and brown and their middles were 135 degrees. Then I removed the scallops and the fat and deglazed the hot pan with white wine, lime juice, and the blood orange fruity vinegar (again, just enough of each so that there is a centimeter or two of liquid in the bottom of the pan). I scraped the browned umami-sensation-fat off of the bottom of the pan for a minute or two, and poured the sauce over the scallops. Deglazing the pan makes delicious sauce and makes you feel like you really know how to cook every time you say it. 

I served them with a risotto kind of like this one and asparagus. 

For dessert, ice cream from where I got married topped with balsamic/blackberry fruity vinegar sauce/caramel. I know in my head that vinegar is really just sugar, but it's still fun to cook it down (slowly!) until it turns into a sauce/caramel/rock (depending on how long you cook it). I didn't add any extra sugar or fat or anything:


So you can feel free to buy me some more presents, now that you know I'm not saving them,
Tofu



No comments:

Post a Comment