Saturday, August 23, 2014

Nuh Muhs

Dear Turkey,

At my house, granola bars are called "Nuh Muhs." Try it -- it's catchy. Usually I make my mom buy them for us from BJs (I am ashamed). I feel like it's too much work with all the toasting/cooking/greasing pans/baking. But I saw this recipe in this cool article about things that college students can make in their dorms (a subject close to my heart), and the recipe had none of those things mentioned above (which I usually love to do, except, apparently, when it comes to Nuh Muhs). It won an award in a peanut festival. I was sold. I am going to reproduce the recipe below, with my substitutions in parentheses:

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup (60 g) salted dry-roasted peanuts (chopped pecans)
  • 1/2 cup (60 g) roasted sunflower seed kernels, or use more peanuts or other nuts (sesame seeds)
  • 1/2 cup (80 g) raisins or other dried fruit (mini chocolate chips, duh)
  • 2 cups (160 g) uncooked oatmeal, old-fashioned or instant
  • 2 cups (50 g) toasted rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies (honey nut cheerios)
  • 1/2 cup (130 g) peanut butter, crunchy or creamy (creamy, natural)
  • 1/2 cup (100 g) packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (120 ml) light corn syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • Optional: 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ (I didn't use this)
Preparation
Mix together the first six ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside. Combine peanut butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a large bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and stir until blended. Add dry ingredients from medium bowl. Stir until coated. Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square pan coated with non-stick spray. Press down firmly (It helps to spray fingers with nonstick spray). Let stand about 1 hour. Cut into bars.

I used parchment paper, as you can see below. 



It did turn out a bit crumbly, which doesn't bother me because I ended up with a nice bowl of chewy granola ("Nuh"). However, I'm going to try doubling the "glue" portion next time and see if that makes them too chewy (impossible).

Enjoy,
Tofu



No comments:

Post a Comment