Saturday, August 9, 2014

Sweet AND Savory Onion Bread

Dear Mark Bittman,

Thank you for inventing this sweet AND savory onion bread. I have to admit, I was a little skeptical when I saw the recipe, because I am lazy and I didn't want to pre-cook the onions, but I trust you, and, once again, you didn't let me down.

First, I cooked 2 c of onions (sliced thin and not too long) in 2 or 3 T of butter until they were clear and soft but not too brown. Then I buttered a pie plate and sprinkled 2 T of brown sugar on top of the butter. I poured the onions on top of that.

Then I mixed 2 c flour, 1 T baking powder, 1 t salt, 1 t sugar, 1 egg, 1 c milk, and 1/4 c oil. I poured that whole business on top of the onions and baked it at 350 degrees for 35-40 mins (it won't take as long as you think, but, then again, I guess you would know).


While it was baking I cooked some eggplant, carrots, zucchini, garlic, and potatoes in sesame oil, butter, brown sugar, tamari, and rice vinegar. It was kind of like an Asian stir fry/stew. I poured it over the bread and ate it with a fork and lots of hot sauce.



Good job, Mark,
Tofu



No comments:

Post a Comment