Thursday, August 28, 2014

"Is This Good?" Non-Mexican Beans and Rice

Dear Turkey,

Sometimes I make something and my constituents say things like, "that was really interesting/original/filling" and then I know that they didn't like it. Sometimes they say things like, "that was really interesting/original/filling" and then they get seconds (this is what happens with Kasha and Bowties). This was one of those times. I usually make beans and rice with Mexican flavors, but I am an equal opportunity beans-and-rice-er, and I am on a small white beans kick.

Yellow Tomato and White Bean Beans and Rice (is it permissible to use beans twice in one title?):

For the beans, saute a few T of oil AND butter (sound familiar?), along with 1 clove of garlic and one small onion (sliced). When it starts to brown, add a sliced serrano pepper (I wanted all of this to get a little brown, but also nice and softy and saucy), a few chopped tomatoes, a few T of white wine and the juice of one lemon.



Add one regular can of small white beans (drained and rinsed). Cook on low/medium heat until Things Fall Apart (at least a little), and then throw in a big handful of sliced green olive with pimentos (trust me).


For the rice, add a few healthy spoonfuls of butter AND oil, along with a generous pinch of salt (like if you were wearing a baseball glove), and teaspoon or so of turmeric to the rice cooker before cooking.


Top with sour cream; this will increase the chance that people will ask for seconds.

Enjoy,
Tofu



No comments:

Post a Comment