Friday, October 10, 2014

Caramel Corn

Dear Favorite Cousin,

I struggled with how to start this post, in case there are other cousins out there who think they are my favorite cousin, so I'll just be a little vague here so as not to exclude anybody:

I have so many great memories of eating caramel corn at your apartment abode in Syracuse Upstate New York with your dog friends and your now husband roommate.

I also struggled with whether or not this would be as good with microwave popcorn. You were right: no regrets. Also, the popcorn was "lightly salted," and salted caramel is a thing. I pride myself on being a person of willpower, but this is something I almost can't leave alone (just ask my constituents), and I have bad teeth, so I should.

Secret Family Recipe Caramel Corn (no oven or real popcorn required)

For the sauce, combine:

1 c brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/4 c light corn syrup (it's worth it)
2 T molasses
1/2 t salt

Bring to a boil in a NONSTICK pan (trust me: I hate nonstick pans, too, but sometimes you gotta do it) and boil for 5 minutes. Try not to stir it, but make sure it doesn't burn either. Boiling sugar is REALLY hot, so be careful (even after you pour it on the popcorn, it can burn your mouth for much longer than you think). Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 t baking soda and watch the magic happen.

This makes enough for one bag of microwave popcorn or equivalent of real popcorn (since we all innately know how much is in a bag of microwave popcorn).



Pour over popcorn and stir while you can, but don't break too many kernels.


Enjoy,
Your Favorite (I hope) Cousin


No comments:

Post a Comment